Monday, October 25, 2010

F is for Florida and Fertility Statues

As promised, G took me to Florida to see the Ripley's African Fertility Statues.  We left town here at about 6:30 pm and got to Panama City Beach, FL at around 6:30 am. It was a VERY long drive.  I made G get a hotel room becuase we both needed to get some sleep.  On a side note, I would not suggest ever renting a Mazda3 for a long road trip. That was the most uncomfortable car I've ever been in.

We slept for about 4 hours then decided to head on over to Ripley's. I had heard that the statues were in the lobby, but I didn't see them when I looked around, so we decided to purchase tickets. After we walked through the entire museum and walked into the gift shop, I saw them in the corner of the gift shop. Apparently I just didn't look around well enough when we got there.  When I saw the statues I actually got a little teary eyed. I rubbed both of them several times.  I hope some of their juju wore off on me.

After we left Ripley's we went to get breakfast then we spent a few hours at the beach.  It was some much needed relaxation time. The beach was like therapy.  We didn't go swimming, but we walked in the surf some and laid a blanket out in the sand and just relaxed.

After the beach we went to eat at Sharky's. You get to sit at this huge patio and we got a booth right at the edge of the beach.  It was dark by this time, but you could still see the beach and hear the waves.  It was nice, but the whole reason I picked there to eat, besides the patio, was because I wanted some good fresh seafood.  I was not impressed at all.  The shrimp and fish actually tasted a lot like Long. John. Silver's.  And my fettucine alfredo was over cooked and had no taste. I wouldn't have broken my diet for it if I had known it was going to be so bad.

After dinner we started our 12 hour journey back home. It turned into a 13 hr trip because G didn't listen to the gps and exited when he wasn't supposed to. Then when the gps tried to get us back on the highway the entrance ramp was blocked so we couldn't, haha.  G was not very happy by the time we got going back on the right path.  It was about 10:30 Sunday morning by the time we actually got back to our house.

Other than the food, the trip was a big success in my eyes.  It was the last day for the statues to be on display so I'm glad we got to go. Who knows if it will actually work, but you can't blame a girl for trying, right?  It may have been a coincidence, but AF , which had already been around for 18 days, ended that same night.

Even if there's nothing special about these statues, it gave us a reason to get away from it all for a while. Work has been crazy busy so it was great to get away from everything for a while.

So for now I'm going to believe that touching these fertility statues will help me on my journey to motherhood.

I believe, do you?

No comments: